Malbec Argentino 2019 – Catena Zapata.
Catena Zapata’s Malbec Argentino: A Timeless Elegance from Argentina’s Heartland.
The Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino 2019 is more than just a bottle of wine; it is a living testament to the history of Argentina’s wine culture, a reflection of the dedication of the Catena family, and a taste of timeless elegance. In this review, we will delve even deeper into the wine’s origin, its captivating journey from vineyard to bottle, the esteemed winery behind it, and a detailed review of its enchanting characteristics.
About its Origin
A Symphony of Old Vines: The Vineyard Heritage.
Nicasia and Angélica: Where Tradition Meets Terroir.
The heart of the Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino lies in the extraordinary vineyards of Nicasia and Angélica, two names etched in the annals of Argentine viticulture.
- Nicasia Vineyard: Nestled in the La Consulta District of the San Carlos Region, Nicasia Vineyard pays tribute to Nicolás Catena Zapata’s grandmother. Sitting at a lofty elevation of 3,593 feet (1,095 meters), the vines here thrive in shallow, loamy soil with a surface covered in gravel. The vineyard, planted in 1996, boasts vines that have stood the test of time for 20 years.
- Angélica Vineyard: Honoring Nicolás Catena Zapata’s mother, the Angélica Vineyard is located in the Lunlunta District of the Maipú Region, Mendoza. At an elevation of 3,018 feet (920 meters), the vines here thrive in soil adjacent to a dry riverbed, consisting of light gravel, loam, and clay. This historic vineyard, with vines dating back to circa 1930, represents a living testament to the region’s rich viticultural heritage.
These vineyards are home to the “The Catena Cuttings,” a prephyloxeric Massale Selection from the Angélica Vineyard. These old vines lend their unique character to the Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino, ensuring its exceptional quality.
About the Winery
Catena Zapata: Pioneers of Argentine Wine.
The Catena family’s journey in winemaking dates back to the late 19th century, and their winery, Bodega Catena Zapata, has become synonymous with quality, innovation, and a deep respect for the land. Today, the fourth generation of the Catena family leads the way in Argentina’s high-altitude renaissance, continuing the legacy of crafting world-class wines.
Their commitment to sustainable viticulture, innovative winemaking techniques, and respect for the unique terroir of Mendoza sets them apart as trailblazers in the Argentine wine industry. Bodega Catena Zapata is more than a winery; it is a custodian of tradition and an innovator of the future.
The Story Behind the Grape and Wine
From Birth to Rebirth: The Malbec Saga, a Grape with a Storied Past.
The label of Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino tells a captivating story through four female figures:
- Eleanor of Aquitaine: Representing the birth of Malbec, Eleanor’s presence evokes the grape’s Old-World origins in Cahors, France.
- The Immigrant: Depicting the movement to the New World, this figure represents the brave explorers and adventurers who brought Malbec to the Americas.
- Phylloxera: Personifying the death of Malbec in the Old World due to the Phylloxera epidemic, which cleared the way for its rebirth in Argentina.
- Adrianna Catena: Symbolizing Bodega Catena Zapata, Adrianna embodies birth, earth, and motherhood, sharing the riches of the New World.
About the Wine
A Journey of Flavors and Aromas.
The 2019 Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino is a wine that transcends time. This vintage offers a vibrant palate with clean and focused aromas and flavors. Meticulous viticultural practices, including fine-tuned irrigation and grape selection, have resulted in a wine of exceptional precision.
On the palate, the wine delights with a symphony of flavors. It seamlessly blends blackberries with blue fruit and dark chocolate. Subtle undertones of bark and black truffle add layers of complexity. This vintage boasts a tight and focused structure, with tannins that are precise and fine. The finish is a crescendo of blackberries and black truffles, leaving an enduring impression.
This wine epitomizes the dedication of the Catena family in producing an Argentine Malbec that can proudly stand alongside the world’s finest. It harmoniously marries tradition with innovation, offering a taste of history and excellence in every sip.
The 2019 Vintage: A Year of Transformation, Enhancing Precision and Flavor.
It feels like there was a significant change in the 2019 Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino, a year characterized by a vibrant palate and very clean and focused aromas and flavors. The winemakers fine-tuned irrigation and viticulture, a change that appears to have heightened the precision of the wine. Additionally, a careful selection process was employed, leaving the grapes from the vineyard’s borders, which were affected by external factors. This vintage maintains its reputation for voluptuousness while blending grapes from Angélica (Lunlunta) and Nicasia (Altamira). The result is a textured and tasty medium-bodied wine with a vibrant finish.
The Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino 2019 is a timeless masterpiece, a wine that pays homage to the Malbec grape’s rich heritage while showcasing its potential in the modern era. It’s a testament to the passion and dedication of the Catena family and a true gem in the world of Argentine wine. Savoring a glass of this wine is not just a tasting experience; it’s a journey through the ages, a toast to the enduring elegance of Argentina’s winemaking tradition. Whether you’re a seasoned wine enthusiast or a curious novice, this wine is an invitation to explore the rich history and vibrant future of Argentine winemaking.
We award this wine with a 96-point DWA score.
The 2019 Malbec Argentino by Catena Zapata was reviewed Niels Aarts and shared with us by our friend Daan. Catena Zapata is imported in the Netherlands by Vinites and can be bought at Petit Clos Weesp.
Taste date: August 2023
Score: 96/100 DWA Score
Website: Catena Zapata