Luminoso Vermentino 2021 – Podere San Cristoforo
Style: White
Country: Italy
Region: Maremma | Tuscany
Grape: Vermentino
Score: 85-89
Price: 10-20 euro

Luminoso Vermentino 2021 – Podere San Cristoforo.

Let’s travel to Tuscany, known for beautiful reds such as Chianti and Brunello di Montalcino. In fact, 85% of the wine production within Tuscany is meant for red wines. With its warm and Mediterranean climate, a perfect match. This leaves 15% for white wines, which are made primarily alongside the coast to benefit the cool sea air, where the Vermentino grape reigns amongst whites.

In this review the 2021 Luminoso (which means: light) Vermentino by Podere San Cristoforo.

About the Winery

In West Tuscany close to the coastal town Follonica in the Maremma region you will find the winery “Podere San Cristoforo”. Earlier we reviewed one of their Sangiovese wines, Tuscany’s red favorite, named “Carandelle”. You can read more about this one here.

Vermentino is an indigenous grape which has been produced since the 14th century on the Italian island Sardinia. Well known for its acidity and ´phenolic´ bitter. Even to this day almost 50% of Vermentino wines are made in Sardinia. Fun fact: in Sardinia Vermentino is also called ´Pigato´.

Podere San Cristoforo produces quality organic wines using innovative natural methods. Their wine contains only of grapes and the lowest dose of sulphites. In the vineyard they only use copper and sulfur, and biodiversity is being rewarded. 

Fun fact number two: winemaker Lorenzo wanted to become a missionary when he was younger. Later he studied to be an engineer but luckily for us he became a winemaker.  Also, 99% of their labels have braille on them.

The wine comes from the oldest vineyard of Podere San Cristoforo, a small plot containing vines of various origins that are over 40 years old. These are mainly Vermentino, a variety that works best under the influence of the wind and sea. 

About the Wine

This Luminoso consists of Vermentino (85%) and Trebbiano Toscano (15%) and produced in a small production (about 8,000 bottles yearly). As mentioned the vineyard contains vines that are over 40 years old that grow on top of an ancient river bed, between the Tyrrhenian sea and the Tuscan hills. The soil here contains Aeolian deposits of medium texture, originating from the foliation of the mineral- bearing hills of Gavorrano, giving a stony terrain with a high clay component.

The grapes are harvested at night to preserves freshness and acidity and were fermented on wild (indigenous) yeast. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks for 18 days, with indigenous yeasts (pied de cuve) at cool temperatures. Ageing is carried on with periodical lees stirrings.

With its light-yellow color this wine offers an aromatic and rich scent. There’s a good amount of complexity with fresh notes of citrus, apricot, peach, bitter almond and chopped pine nut. At the back are savoury aromas of pressed flowers and dried Mediterranean herbs. It has subtle mineral nuances that result from the interaction between the roots and the soil.


A textured wine that offers great freshness and balance with a harmonious and long finish. Suitable to drink as an aperitif or alongside pasta, lean fish and vegetarian dishes.

Luminoso is part of this month’s VINVIN Favourite Box, and also available by the bottle. You can find it through this link.  Available in The Netherlands for €15,99 per individual bottle. This review is written by our own Kirsten (Cote de Blonde).

Price:                            €15,99

Taste date:                  December 2022

Score:                           89/100 DWA Score

Website:                      Podere San Cristoforo