Torres Anthology wines, vintage release.
On the 18th of October we were invited by Dutch wine importer Walraven Sax to join an exclusive wine presentation in Amsterdam. At the beautiful 1 Star Michelin Restaurant MOS, we were expected to taste the new vintages of Anthology wines from the beautiful Spanish Bodega of Familia Torres.
Josep Sabarich, head winemaker and just arrived in the Netherlands for this event, guided us in this interesting tasting. We learned a lot about the (native) grapes that make up part of this Anthology. And also, about the soil, climate, terroir and their influence over the years in the different D.O where these wines come from.
Based in Catalonia and with the 5th generation now in the lead, the dream of the founders, brothers Jaime y Miguel Torres, in 1870 has come all the way to a reality. Torres has their home base in DO Penedès but they now produce wines in various parts of Spain, such as DO Ribera del Duero or DO Rueda. Under the leadership of Miguel Agustin Torres (4th generation), the international expansion of this bodega began with wine projects in Chile and California (1982) with great success.
Their wines are honest and hedonistic, made to be enjoyed. They show the uniqueness of their origin and they are then and now, truly elegant.
Torres Anthology Wines
The tasting was followed by a lunch where we could enjoy the wines of Torres presented in combination with beautiful dishes. These Anthology wines synthesize the essence of Familia Torres and are the most emblematic wines, selected for the singularity of their origin and their exclusive production. Most of these wines are produced in just a couple of 1,000 bottles per vintage.
Below the reviews and scores of the wines we have tasted:
- Milmanda DO Conca De Barbera – Chardonnay – 2019. One of Spain’s most classic Chardonnays with 10 months sur lie. Beautifully soft, fresh and you can keep it for about 5 years. DWA Score: 91/100.
- Mas la Plana DO Penedes – Cabernet Sauvignon – 2018. A nice monocepage of Cabernet Sauvignon from different parcels of the Mas La Plana vineyards and vinified in 3 types of tanks to give it more freshness, keep the fruit and make it irresistible. DWA Score: 92/100.
- Reserva Real DO Penedes – Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot – 2018. It is a majestic wine with a very classic Bordeaux profile. The best of the best has been chosen to make it, that’s why there is a limited production. DWA Score: 94/100.
- Grans Muralles DO Conca De Barbera – Blend of native grapes – 2018. This was definitely one of our favorites. Mediterranean character, with an unmistakable identity and made from a blend of native grapes such as garró and querol and the unmistakable garnacha and cariñena. DWA Score: 95/100.
- Mas de la Rosa DO Priorat – Cariñena, Garnacha – 2019. This is the most exclusive of the 5 wines tasted. From Priorat, a region of international fame and bottled in January of this year (2022). It has a potential of at least 10 to 15 years. It is elegant and balanced and represents the maximum expression of the terroir. DWA Score: 95/100.
What a lovely afternoon we had! Although most of the wines in the Torres range were familiar to us, we were delighted to taste this Anthology for the first time. It was an exquisite sensory journey through the different Catalan DO’s.
This event was covered for us by our own Inma Muñoz, our specialist on Spanish wines.